Welcome to Chasing Departures! I’m Niki, a twenty-something, and dreamer. I carved out this space on the internet as a place where three of my passions, travel, photography, and writing, collide.
I began traveling when I was just a baby. I don’t remember much from those early years, but traveling has always been a part of who I am. Grandma used to say that gypsy blood ran through my veins and she was definitely right. From my first time crying on an airplane as a baby to today, I’ve been to some incredible places. I have lived all over the United States, lived in Berlin, traveled solo, and have finally graduated from university (but then I went back to earn a second degree).
Why Blogging + How Chasing Departures Came To Be
I fell into blogging while I was in high school. At the time I was an avid reader and none of the people I hung out with didn’t read books. So, I started to write about my favorite books online. I loved it! Blogging gave me an outlet where I could connect with other like-minded readers.
After a couple years and being forced to read so many books for school, my passion for books fizzled out a bit. During that time, I was beginning to travel more. Eventually, I stumbled upon Young Adventuress, a travel blog by a young American that had the life I dreamed of. I knew I needed to start a travel blog but what would I call it?
It took me years to come up with a name that I really, really liked that wasn’t already taken on all social media channels. Finally, I chose and fell in love with Chasing Departures. I think the name suits me and my blog really well because when I am traveling somewhere you can usually find me running through the airport chasing after a departure.
At Chasing Departures, a mile of runway can take you anywhere.
- I have been to 43 out of the 50 states
- Language fascinates me – I know Spanish, English (obviously), Japanese, a little German, and a little Norwegian
- I have to have my camera when I travel
- I’ve danced in a fountain in Spain
- I saw the Spanish soccer team in Madrid after they won the Euro Cup in 2012
- I’ve experienced rain in Death Valley
- My very first concert was The Eagles and yes, they were amazing
- I love rocks, always have (studying geology, again! Third time is the charm, right?)