Welcome to Chasing Departures! I’m Niki, a twenty-something and dreamer finishing up my last semester in university. I carved out this space on the internet as a place where three of my passions, travel, photography, and writing, collide. My goal is for this blog to inspire other dreamers to get out and see how remarkable the world really is.
I began traveling when I was just a baby. I don’t remember much from those early years, but traveling has always been a part of who I am. Grandma used to say that gypsy blood ran in my veins and she was definitely right. From my first time crying on an airplane as a baby to today, I’ve been to some incredible places. I have lived all over the United States, lived in Berlin, traveled solo, and have almost graduated from university (May 2017 cannot come fast enough).
Why Blogging + How Chasing Departures Came To Be
I fell into blogging while I was in high school. At the time I was a friendless weirdo that everyone hated, but hey, that’s high school for some an avid reader and none of the people I hung out with read the books I liked. So, I started to write about my favorite books online. I loved it! Blogging gave me
online friends an outlet where I could connect with other readers.
After a couple years and being forced to read so many books for school, my passion for books fizzled out a bit. During that time, I was beginning to travel more and more. In my free time, I would be learning airport codes and airline routes. I would study the route maps trying to piece together my next trip. During this obsessive trip planning phase of mine, I stumbled upon Young Adventuress, a travel blog by a young American that had the life I dreamed of. I knew I needed to start a blog but what would I call it?
It took me years to come up with a name that I really, really liked that wasn’t already taken on all social media channels. Finally, I settled upon Chasing Departures. I think the name suits me and my blog really well because when I am traveling somewhere you can usually find me running through the airport chasing after a departure.
- I have been to 34 out of the 50 states
- My goal is to finish the last 16 and the 5 territories by the time I’m 25
- I know Spanish, English (obviously), Japanese, a little German, and a little Norwegian
- I could eat Mexican food all day every day (I probably sound like every other American out there right about now)
- I wouldn’t be able to travel without my Nikon DSLR, yep, I’m a Nikon girl
- I’ve danced in the fountain in Spain
- I saw the Spanish soccer team in Madrid after they won the EuroCopa in 2012
- I’ve experienced rain in Death Valley
- My very first concert was The Eagles and yes, they were amazing
- I have a love of Star Trek, Deep Space Nine is definitely the best series in the franchise
I hope you continue to follow along as I embrace all that is 20-something life and figure it out as I go!
You will never miss a story, travel tip, mishap, photo and more!