Welcome to Chasing Departures! I’m Niki, a twenty-something, and dreamer. I carved out this space on the internet as a place where three of my passions, travel, photography, and writing, collide.
At Chasing Departures, a mile of runway can take you anywhere. As a travel blogger, my goal is to inspire other young twenty-somethings to explore as far as they can and to keep an open mind. I want to show other young Americans that destinations are not always defined by what we see on the news.
I began traveling when I was just a baby. I don’t remember much from those early years, but traveling has always been a part of who I am. Grandma used to say that gypsy blood ran through my veins and she was definitely right. From my first time crying on an airplane as a baby to today, I’ve been to some incredible places. I have lived all over the United States, lived in Berlin, traveled solo, and have finally graduated from university.
Why Blogging + How Chasing Departures Came To Be
I fell into blogging while I was in high school. At the time I was an avid reader and none of the people I hung out with read books. So, I started to write about my favorite books online. I loved it! Blogging gave me an outlet where I could connect with other readers.
After a couple years and being forced to read so many books for school, my passion for books fizzled out a bit. During that time, I was beginning to travel more and more. In my free time, I would be learning airport codes and airline routes. I would study the route maps trying to piece together my next trip. During this obsessive trip planning phase of mine, I stumbled upon Young Adventuress, a travel blog by a young American that had the life I dreamed of. I knew I needed to start a travel blog but what would I call it?
It took me years to come up with a name that I really, really liked that wasn’t already taken on all social media channels. Finally, I chose and fell in love with Chasing Departures. I think the name suits me and my blog really well because when I am traveling somewhere you can usually find me running through the airport chasing after a departure.
- I have been to 37 out of the 50 states
- My goal is to finish the last 13 and the 5 territories by the time I’m 25
- I know Spanish, English (obviously), Japanese, a little German, and a little Norwegian
- I could eat Mexican food all day every day (I probably sound like every other American out there right about now)
- I wouldn’t be able to travel without my Nikon DSLR, yep, I’m a Nikon girl
- I’ve danced in a fountain in Spain
- I saw the Spanish soccer team in Madrid after they won the EuroCopa in 2012
- I’ve experienced rain in Death Valley
- My very first concert was The Eagles and yes, they were amazing
- I have a love of Star Trek, Deep Space Nine is definitely the best series in the franchise
I hope you continue to follow along as I embrace all that is 20-something life and figure it out as I go!
You will never miss a story, travel tip, mishap, photo and more!